15.4.09

Goodbye old friends....


I will miss you dearly. You have carried me through many a happy, sad and difficult day and I could always depend on you. Now that you have reached a terminal stage, I have decided it is time for you to retire. You have earned your rest!

Comfortable clothes, and especially shoes, tend to grow on me. The more comfortable, the more intense the love affair and this pair of leather sandals have been my favourite for many years. They have been resoled twice, but are now beyond redemption. So I have to say farewell... it's hard, but what has to be done....

I love beautiful, stylish clothes and shoes... as long as somebody else wears it. Myself? I am strictly a jeans and tackies girl. Of course there are occassions when I dress up... weddings, funerals, court appearances (I have only once been in a court of law, but that is a story for another day) meeting the queen... I even go to work and church in my jeans.

Luckily I do not have to work with the public and my boss has long ago decided that my skills outbalance my dress code, so I only dress up for work when the Generals or the Minister visits.

Shopping for clothes is sheer hell for me. I can never find anything that I feel comfortable in straight away and of course, in my country they seem to only sell clothes for midgets; everything I like is too small! (I'm sure I am the only woman in the world who has this particular problem!)

It is not that I am an untidy person, I just like comfortable clothes! Smart suits, dresses, etc. is just not my cup of tea. I always feel a bit like a Christmas Tree when I am all dressed up and I find it difficult to be myself at such times. Oh yes, and please, no ten minute shoes - that is sheer torture!

Worst thing about having to retire my old, comfortable faithfuls is that now I will have to go out and shop for another pair. Please all you bloggers out there, spare me a thought...

8 comments:

Jo-Anne said...

my condolences.

i love shopping, shoe shopping especially, so let me know if you need help in that department.

Argent said...

I hate it when a well-loved garment or pair of shoes reaches the end of its life. I had a pair of jogging pants that I bought really cheap in a sale. They were sooo comfortable! I wore them till they fell to bits and I can't find anything like them anywhere. I'm a jeans and T-shirt person too I always feel uncomfortable and less confident in "posh" clothes.

A human kind of human said...

Thank you Argent. Now I know that I am not alone.

DUTA said...

EVEN IN THEIR "TERMINAL" STATE YOUR SANDALS LOOK NICE - HAVING THREE DIFFERENT COLORS.
I KIND OF IDENTIFY WITH YOUR VIEWS ON CLOTHES AND SHOES. IT'S NOT EASY FOR ME TO FIND THE RIGHT SHOES AS I HAVE SMALL FEET BUT WIDE. ANYWAY, I MANAGE.

Scoobyloves2004 said...

I hear you!! I don't really have any clothes because I am always pregnant. I hate shopping for new clothes because I know I will just get to wear them for a few months and then have to go back to wearing my old maternity clothes. (Which I hate) I am completely out of touch with todays styles, I think they look silly. I have one pair of jeans and thats pretty much it. Kinda sad, I know....but I only leave the house once a month or so, so what does it matter?

A human kind of human said...

Thank you guys, you make me feel "normal".

The Bug said...

I am so with you here - and the sad thing is that I turn a blind eye & don't even realize that it's TIME FOR THE ITEM TO GO ALREADY! I just wear it until someone else makes a comment & then I feel a little embarrassed, wear it a little while longer, & then just get rid of it. Very sadly.

And thanks for stopping by my blog!

JD said...

You just described me. Have we met? :o)

I only wear jeans in the daytime, for work, at home, anywhere. I also work for the public service, although in Canada, and my job allows me to wear jeans (Praise God!!).

I bought three pairs of jeans several years ago, they were the only ones I wore, and they all wore out to threads this year, and started ripping/tearing. I had to "retire" them. It was sad indeed. I found three more pairs, two of which I love. Thankfully, it's summer, so I'm wearing my jean shorts and capri jeans, so I have a bit more time to find another pair of full jeans that I love before autumn sets in.

I own one pair of shoes, men's shoes, actually, because like you, if I dress up all fancy, I feel like a Christmas tree out of season. It's just not a very natural feeling for me.


I am so sorry about the sandals... Tell me, did you find suitable replacements that you've grown to love as much? :o)